Thursday, May 10, 2012

I work online

September 2010 when I decided to end my 3-year career in a call center. If my memory serves me right, it was in 2003 when I first applied in a call center. It was in Wynsum Corporate Plaza, Ortigas. It was my first. My first time to brave myself and go job hunting in Ortigas Center, Pasig City. My first time to ride an elevator and go all the way up to the 36th floor. My first time to see executives from foreign land. A place where everybody speaks in English. Fluently and proficiently.

I took the examination which was composed of multiple choice questions and essay writing (which I loved before). I went home sad and disappointed when I didn't pass the second pace of the application process and that is pronunciation and speech testing. Two words that marked my first ever call center application: Philippines and beverage. How can a 2-year college graduate like me could not pronounce those words correctly??? The rest is history. I left Ortigas swearing to myself not to step foot in a call center again.

November 2007 when I tried my luck again. I just have this feeling that I should give myself another try. I really need a higher pay at that time and my mindset - only a call center can give me that. I prayed. I prayed really hard to get a job in BPO. The Lord granted my heart's desire. I got hired December 2007 and everything happened so fast. I've received countless recognition, certificates and awards (in all kinds) for being the top agent. How can a 2-year college graduate like me who could not pronounce Philippines and beverage correctly back in 2003 and is a newbie in this industry is now on the top among 300+ agents on the floor?

Isn't the author of my life working on me?

Philippians 1:6 being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.


I have decided to resign in September 2010. I am happy. It prepared me to a bigger opportunity and that is online.

November 2010. I can't believe you can earn while at home while sitting in front of your computer. Freelancer? Dollars? Really?

A very good friend, a confidant, almost like a sibling to me introduced me to oDesk. A global marketplace that help businesses hire, manage and pay remote freelancers or teams.




It does not only changed how the world works. It changed my life.

You can say I'm such an oDesk fanatic. I'm just grateful.

oDesk made me realized a lot of things that I can do which I am afraid to try before. What I really enjoy aside from the benefit of working at your own home (or wherever you want just as long as you have a working computer and an internet connection, you are all set) is that I got the chance to work with several people from different parts of the globe. There are clients from the United States, Europe and Australia - teammates from India, Sri Lanka, New Zealand, etc.

oDesk also changed the lives of the people around me. I 'sometimes experience' financial freedom if that is what you may call it. When the amount you are earning is 'at times more than' what you need.

I always see in the jeepneys a tag line 'katas ng Saudi'. I am really excited to write a post about my 'katas ng oDesk'. Soon.

Only God's love and grace are permanent. Online projects will end. There are times I am without any projects left. No projects mean no dollars. I just have to stay positive. There are hundreds of job opportunities posted every now and then, I just need to apply to the position which I think I will excel the most.

To be able to survive in this online world, I need to prove the clients my worth. A big no no to just my second best. I should always give my very best because that is what the client expects from me.

I work online and I love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment